THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 23 September 2012

Sightseeing in Oxford

I had a little day trip yesterday to the beautiful city of Oxford. Dad wanted to show his current lodger, Gosia from Poland, some of the sights of England, and since it was my birthday that week we made a day of it.
These first few pics were taken at Christchurch College. We saw dozens of the colleges around Oxford, but this one not only has its own cathedral but it's where Charles Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll, was a maths lecturer. There is a small shop across the street called 'Alice's Shop', as it's both drawn and mentioned in Carroll's Alice Through the Looking Glass.




Gosia and me at Christchurch.
 These next few are from the Oxford University Botanical Gardens. The lady on the ticket desk said my outfit was beautiful! :-)




 These are from another of the colleges; I don't remember which but it had its very own deer park!

 The Bodleian Library.
 In the Covered Markets.


 After climbing the very narrow and spiral-y 99 steps up Carfax Tower.


 The Ashmolean Museum.



 The Oxford University Museum.



Being a vry srs museum-goer.


10 comments:

MmePolaire said...

Wow! That looks like one of the most fun days ever! I'm so jealous!

Zoe Alice said...

FYI, the college with the deer park is Magdalen (pronounced "Maudlin" to trip up tourists) College :)

The HouseCat said...

I think the black and white stained glass window is in the atrium to Magdalene College chapel (where I've sung in on several occasions with the RSCM). One of the windows in Christchurch is Pre-Raphaelite (and I've sung in there, too!).

I need to get my photographs from when I lived down that end of the world; they're all on my spare external hard-drive at my Dad's place.

Carfax Tower has a lovely view, as does the tower in Oxford Castle.

AsylumAlice said...

You have such beautiful architecture in England. The US does not compare with its gross glass skyscrapers and boxy buildings.

Cherry Divine said...

Love the round stained glass window. That is marvelous. Wish I could go to a new place like that. It's funny how there seems to be more of a choice in Gothic shops etc. Whenever I travel to a far better place, there are more decent Gothic people there too. I like your foreign exchange student friend. Is that your dad in the blue jumper Amy?

akumaxkami said...

Looks like a LOT of fun. There's so much lovely architecture in the UK. I'm kind of jealous.

Ms. Lou said...

I love Oxford! When I go to England I meet up with my cousins there and we enjoy the sights. Your pictures bring back memories! :)

The Cemetery Dreamer said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun in Oxford! It's such a wonderful city.

The college with a deer park is Magdalene, my favourite Oxford college!

ggdawnofthedead said...

Looks like fun! I have a quick Q for you if u dont mind. Is Alice in Videoland a goth band? Thanks!

Phoenix said...

That stained glass window is BEAUTIFUL. What an awesome looking day, you guys have the best things to sight-see in England!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...